Saturday, August 3, 2019

The Last of the Evangelion Manga Reviews (at least till I dig out Books 3/4 from storage)

Issue 11 --- Issue 12

It was tough for me not continuing with the "Neon Genesis Evangelion" manga. Unfortunately, I had difficulty with Viz delivering the issues. They were kind of enough to take care of the issues, but I thought it maybe wiser to quit subscribing and leave the series on an up note.

Actually, I thought I knew how it all ends (I went to the trouble of watching a Chinese subtitled version of the first movie), so what was there going to be to really surprise me besides more Pen Pen revelations?

Shortly after this, I spent two weeks in London. Man do they know how to treat an otaku. I loaded up on anything Eva. Post cards, original alternate universe manga, the toys (which I unfortunately had to open to pack), and mouse pad. They also have a lot more anime magazines on the dark island, and in trying to catch up with "Perfect Blue's" release, I read a lot of them. Evangelion still being the hot topic, there were articles about Eva's voice cast, the movies, and the manga. A manga that was based on the TV series.

So I maybe missing out. I do own the compilation of Book 3 and the first two issues of Book 4, but prepping for college and the first job (fixing Caterpillar boxes) put it on the back burner.

Since I like to end my discussions after seven related articles, I just may get around to catching up, and even reading the latest Alt universe lines. Got to keep myself pumped for the next DVD from Funimation.

The theme song I appointed to this set of reviews was David Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes". This is the epitome of what midis were all about.

Stage 11: The Child Wandering
After Shinji is scolded for disobeying orders, he feels he can't pilot the Eva anymore, and runs away. He runs into Kensuke which relieves some of his tension, but he soon surrenders to Nerv Security, so he may find out what his fate is.

The anime feels like it covers this part of the story more, but it does leave out some details that could give us a better understanding of all the characters. Everything artistic about this stage is good, and the story is the best in the series so far.

Stage 12: Fumbling Towards Kindness

Shinji being surprised with his father's praise (sort of), and the feeling of being nobody again makes him wish that he wasn't leaving Tokyo 3. Add Misato's feeling of loneliness, and the scenario may change.

My description of the premise may leave one to think that their isn't much to the story, but the manga does a great job in expanding on the premise. Again, this issue tells this part of the story better than the anime. They should have payed more attention to what they cut out for the show (sorry for the last statement, the anime came first). Of course, with only 26 episodes there would be some problems. Again the artwork is great, and the ending is pretty fulfilling. Finding out the secret of Pen Pen is worth owning this, and the great use of Toji and Kensuke should clinch this purchase.
Evangelion - Reddit
www.reddit.com/r/evangelion

No comments:

Post a Comment