Thursday, July 30, 2009

Fatal Fury - How Much Can One Video Game Take


OVA --- Motion Picture
I was not impressed by Final Fantasy: Unlimited, so I guess quite a bit.

If you are wondering why there is a no rating sticker on the box I scanned, I bought Fatal Fury used (and third hand) for $5 from First Choice Video, a video rental store (since closed) in Morton, Illinois. Living in Morton makes it difficult to get a hold of any anime unless your willing to drive to Peoria (15 miles at best, but we were bitching about gas prices even then), so I'd buy whatever I can get. Quite a bargain because there is no way I'd pay full price for a new version. But I'm a huge video game fighter fan, so I still enjoyed watching it. I have no urge to follow anything that was spawned from this title.

Except for Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture which I saw on free cable. Oh for the days of the Original SciFi Channel.

Fatal Fury: The OVA - Legend of the Hungry Wolf

Oh yeah! I can't forget to include the
Duran Duran midi I had used for the original page.

Ten years after the Bogard brothers' father, Jeff, is murdered by his rival in an attemp to be the only one who would know the ultimate martial art technique, Terry and Andy are reunited to learn from their father's master and to avenge his death. The two feel the best way to settle who technique will passed to is by seeing who would beat who in the King of Fighter tournament. Their father's murderer runs the tournament, and he wants to stop anyone from carrying this knowledge on. Now the question is, how can the two beat the crap out of each other and avoid the inevitable assassination attempts at the same time?

I think this anime was produced quickly to try capitalizing on the success the Street Fighter 2 anime had, and the fast and cheap quality is apparent. The animation itself isn't bad, but the colors are pretty dull, the soundtrack absolutely sucks, the dialouge isn't very good, and the fights are pretty short. It still captures some of what made the game though I can't say Fatal Fury one was much of a game, but you get the idea. They do a great job of the producing the authentic special moves, and there is some great artwork. A video rental store is actually more likely to carry this title since it is based on a video game rather than other titles like Neon Genesis Evangelion, so it might be worth a rent, but otherwise don't buy it unless your a huge fan of Fatal Fury.

And that's a stretch. I was a big fan of Fatal Fury 2 on the SNES, but that doesn't inspire me to buy the second OVA.

Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture

No matter how much you dress up a turd it is still a turd. Actually, that's a pretty good plot summary. Yes, that is a bit extreme to describe my disappointment when I saw that Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture wasn't much of an improvement over Legend of the Hungry Wolf. Since I haven't seen Fatal Fury 2, and I still won't, you might call me under qualified to give a review to the film, but many people signed my guestbook asking for this, (if you want to piss on my opinions, go right ahead) so I had to give this film a chance.

Sign Guestbook --- View Guestbook

Laocorn is a descendent of Gaudeamus, so naturally he is searching for his ancestor's armor that made him nearly invincible against the Romans. He wants that same power, and the only person that immediately opposes him is his twin sister Sulia. Unfortunately, she can't stop his army, so she finds Terry Bogard, and gains his assistance along with brother Andy, Joe Higashi, and Mai Shiranui. Now they are trying to prevent him from capture to the other three pieces of armor and save Laocorn's soul from the reemergence of the God of War.

There are some excellent fight scenes, but only for the art work. The action is very poor. Mai, Joe, and Andy work as a great comic team which helps the Andy/Mai relationship, but this hardly works on the romantic or emotional level. Yet, these are among the few forgivable flaws of the movie.

Then you have the Terry/Sulia relationship which allows for some great redrawn LotHW footage, but this ends in an extremely pathetic way. Maybe this isn't something that needs to be stated, but it seems the Japanese really go out of their way to sacrifice themselves for anything.

As for the plot, it seems perfect for these characters unlike LotHW, but since I haven't seen any of the film's bad guys in the Fatal Fury games, I don't find them to be extremely effective villains except for the guy with the Clockwork Orange mask. What the heck was the reason for bringing Billy and Geese back when they do jack s*** for the plot, for a sequel? With this ridiculous ending, I hope not.

Toshinden
had a similar story line, and Fatal Fury shows that detailed art and high production value doesn't make a great film. Makes me wish the more likable Toshin fighters could teach the FF cast a lesson.

animatedcartoons.co/top-fatal-fury-king-of-fighters-artwork/
animatedcartoons.co/top-fatal-fury-king-of-fighters-artwork/

No comments:

Post a Comment