Saturday, July 25, 2009

Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie, or the Birth of a KMFDM Fan.

And the only midi I could find back in 1997 was Blind by Korn. The only knowledge about Korn was that they were a popular among some of the perceived troublemakers when I was in high school. Blind was featured as the credits song on the US release of Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie, so it was cool to know that I was going to have people immediately on my side when we called them sell outs when they released the "Follow the Leader."

STII has always been a title that I end up finding more and more about. Like how I'm pissed I didn't immediately buy the DVD which featured the European cut that featured a KMFDM soundtrack (not just "Ultra" which is used in the scene that sells the flick). I thought my fansub of the complete version that set the anime fight scene standard of shower nudity before the hot chick fights was going to be enough.

Memo 1: Get on E-Bay and see if I can get the disc at a steal.

As I said, this title is a must, but this isn't art. For me, it is what the fanboy who got reintroduced to anime via Game Fan magazine tribute to the lost periodical. For everyone else, B-Movie bliss.

Memo 2: Get bis sis to try talking Rifftrax into covering this one. After Manga let Conan and Andy redub Ghost in the Shell, I'd be sure they would take the MST3K treatment as an excuse to release the DVD with the all possible soundtrack attached.

Memo 3: Disregard memo 1.

Some of the best street fighters have been involved in terrorist activities, including MI6 agent Cammy White. A bigger problem is that any of them who are captured cannot remember the last 3 years. This leads Chun Li and Interpole to believe that the Shadowlaw organiztion, headed by M. Bison, is behind this. Interpole has decided enter a joint mission with the U.S. military forces led by Col. Guile to find Bison's hide out and destroy it.

Of course Bison has some goals of his own, such as aquiring Ryu, who is believed to be the greatest fighter of all time. Bison's problem is he can't find Ryu, but he has been told that Ryu's friend and rival, Ken Masters, may be equal to him. So it's a race to see if Bison can be stopped before he can aquire the ultimate hitman.

First off, the animation and the song track which includes Alice in Chains, Silver Chair, and Korn are great. The story is also good enough to hold everything together, and the fights don't need a story to be good.

Unfortunately it has been really Americanized. I've heard the score (and now know) was changed, and I feel it was done for the worst. The idea of seeing through the monitors of cyborgs sight is a little overdone to try to impress us (correction: this was in the Japanese version). It actually leads me to question of who truly came up with their vision. SFII or City of Lost Children.
Even if the fights are cool, some should never have been put in this story. I guess they figured they needed to introduce all the characters. Also the story isn't closed well enough. We don't know what happened to 5 of the fighters. The worst thing is the dubbing, but obviously you won't find a subtitled version (fansubs are the only ones, until the DVD came out).

To some extent, I may have really enjoyed this film because the Street Fighter series is my favorite video game series (no matter how bad this dub was, I still watched it again and again), but still it is anime that I think is worth buying and it is a must for SF2 fans. Its is also pretty cheap, can be found anywhere, so its a good intro to people interested in seeing what anime is like.


No comments:

Post a Comment