Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sailor Moon Name Translations - You Can Assume Why This Isn't on My Main Blog

When I first became interested in anime, I was trying to avoid Sailor Moon thinking it was a fad in the U.S. created by DiC's Marketing. My "how a summer vacation without anything on TV to watch" can do funny things to a man. Now Sailor Moon is probably one of my favorite series. By noway is it one of the best anime television shows, but how can you not like it with all its uses of anime cliches, its art style, and the fact that is mind bogglingly cute (of course this is coming from a boy who collects Beanie Baby cats). I wasn't going to create a site for this series despite how much I liked it until I had some episodes I could watch over and over again. I don't want to seem under qualified.

After going to the Visions 98 Sci-fi convention in Chicago, I picked up three or four episode videos, one from each undubbed season. Man are we being deprived back here in the states. These episodes get into a lot deeper and darker scenarios than the first two series. This is probably something every SM fan wants and this could only win more fans to the show. If that statement turns off some SM fans, this is still the same Sailor Moon character wise, so nothing is really lost. Hell, the only thing that can screw with a fan's mind from these episodes I saw is the relationship between Uranus and Neptune. If the transformation sequences weren't enough to mess with an 18 year-olds mind (this is a joke, not a request to receive SM hentai in my e-mail).

I ended up writing quite a few pages devoted to this series, so there are actual reviews to come. Until then, here are some name translations and a theme song midi to hold you over till then.

Sailor Scout - English Name - Original Name

Sailor Moon - Serena - Usagi

Sailor Mercury - Amy - Ami

Sailor Mars - Raye - Rei

Sailor Jupiter - Leeta - Makoto

Sailor Venus - Mina - Minako

Sailor Chibi Moon - Reeni - Chibi-Usa

Tuxedo Mask - Darian - Mamoru

Molly - Naru

Melvin - Umino

Sailor Moon © Naako Takeuchi/Kodansha and Toei Animation

No comments:

Post a Comment